Re: [git patches] libata hibernation fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 11:30:22 EST

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> This adds code at a late stage (heading towards -rc4), but does
> eliminate a particular spin-up overcycling behavior associated with
> hibernation.

What does this have to do with hibernation?

If it's a hibernation-only issue, then there is something wrong.

Also, if it is an issue for normal power-off as well, then I wonder why
this isn't an issue on Windows. Does windows not spin down disks at all?

IOW, I really don't think this is correct.

I _do_ think that correct might be:

- maybe we just do something odd and different, triggering some BIOS
behavior that isn't there under Windows.

So we should power down thigns differently so that the BIOS.

- quite possibly: we just should not spin down disks at all, and just
flush them and do the "park" command thing. If we're _really_ powering
off, the disks will spin down on their own when power goes away. Maybe
that's what Windows does?

So I really don't want to pull this, because I want to get more of an
explanation for why we need to do this at all. I also don't think this is
even appropriate at this stage in -rc.

Is it a regression? If so, that just strengthens the questions above -
what did _we_ start doing wrong that this is needed at all? Let's just
stop doing that, not add some idiotic black-list for somethign that _we_
do wrong.

Linus