Re: [BUG] serial base baud misdetected in 2.6.27

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 15:30:06 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:24:45 -0600
"Chris Friesen" <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm running an ATCA7101 board. This board has two 16550 ports that get detected as ttyS4 and ttyS5.

With a much earlier kernel (2.6.14) the serial port base speed is correctly detected as 230400, which gives the desired 115200 when I specify that on the kernel commandline.

With 2.6.16 and 2.6.27 (not sure about the intervening kernels) the serial port base speed is detected as 921600, which means that I need to specify 460800 on the commandline to get a real speed of 115200 (as verified by an external terminal server).

Any ideas what could be causing this misdetection? I'm having lab issues right now so I can't track it down, but I'll have a go at it eventually.

If this is a PCI card it may be matching against a PCI entry for a
similar card with different crystals and need the right svid/sdid adding.

This is an ATCA board, so it's not a separate PCI card, but it does look like it's hanging off the PCI bus. The vendor/device matches to an Exar Corp. XR17C152, which is given a base_baud of 921600 in drivers/serial/8250_pci.c.

According to the chip specs, 921600 is correct with the default crystal and control register values. However, other crystals can be used and there's also a control register bit to enable a prescalar which cuts the baud rate by a factor of four. I suspect that one of these has been done on our boards.

The confusing thing is that the 2.6.14 code seems to also use a value of 921600, but somehow it works. I wonder if our kernel vendor has tweaked something in the code to adjust this value later on.

Chris