Re: Long delays and keystrokes required - related todisk encryption?

From: Tony Vroon
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 10:50:31 EST

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 07:13 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> I assume that if you add that return it also works?
> (if not you have a totally unrelated issue)

Another report of the same problem.
Yes, adding a return there fixes everything.

> one request to the folks on the mail who know it's fixed by the return;
> can you send me your .config and dmesg and name of the machine?
> (eg vendor/model)

I have seen this on two of our laptop types so far:
Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E8410 (BIOS 1.30)
ICH8M-based Centrino

Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E8420 (BIOS 1.14)
ICH9M-based Centrino2

> I'm failing to reproduce and would like to get as exactly the same as you guys as possible...

As an observation, things seem to slow down as the init process in
initramfs is loaded. First I thought it was waiting for user input in
the initramfs that slowed down, but it turned out I needed to hit Ctrl
once to get to even get to the input prompt.
Enabling an initramfs and sticking a simple script in there may suffice.
All machines affected appear to be recent (ICH7/8/9) Centrino laptops
with HPET enabled, if that helps.

Whatever goes wrong that early in boot intermittently manifests as long
as the system is running, and seems to interfere with HD Audio here (I
get spurious timeouts, first the driver switches to polling mode and I
lose unsollicited event support entirely, then it switches into single
command mode and I lose all audio functionality)

Regards,
Tony V.