Re: [alsa-devel] Bugs on aspire one A150

From: Andreas Mohr
Date: Sun Nov 09 2008 - 15:09:57 EST

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 07:58:17PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 9 Nov 2008 16:13:23 +0100,
> Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > OK, _THIS_ time I actually did get the correct model (last time I tried
> > modprobe with model=acer-aspire, but apparently it then used the
> > /etc/modprobe.d/ model=toshiba setting, since this time gamix showed
> > entirely different controls with i-Mic etc.) - all the more reason to
> > log the model name chosen/selected by the driver!!
>
> Build with the debug option (why turned off even if you *are*
> debugging?). Then the driver will show you details.

Hmm, right, that would have been an (very useful) option, but not for the
majority of users OTOH.
Especially since this is a user-visible module parameter which should thus
be confirmed in mainstream user code, via logging.
Admittedly not many modules log their settings during startup,
but for snd_hda_intel with its two myriads of codec/machine variants
and a resulting quarter myriad of issues that would be very useful.

> > --> I have to admit that usability sucks^Hcould be a lot better.
>
> One would call it rather debuggability than usability.
> These are completely different things.

See above ;)

> > i-Mic on Ekiga with lotsa mixer fiddling didn't work either this time.
>
> OK, then something is missing. But you should test by arecord first
> than any complicated applications as a primary test.

Good point, will do.

Oh, and is there a way to manually alter codec registers?

> Anyway, the acer-aspire support code was written by Realtek guys, so
> it'd be best to ask them...

Indeed, and far too late (they have submitted it in September I think)
for guaranteeing non-problematic hardware behaviour...
(I'd guesstimate the Realtek submission to be based on Acer activity)
Anyway, still very nice to see that companies do submit patches after all.

Thanks,

Andreas