Re: [patch] add /proc/pid/stack to dump task's stack trace

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Nov 10 2008 - 03:41:44 EST

* Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 01:10:54PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Sidenote: it would still be nice if the procfs folks converted the
> > old-style code there to the new seqfile APIs, before requiring
> > everyone _else_ to follow those guidelines?
>
> For every existing non seqfile /proc file, there may be (and was
> demonstrated) some userspace which is doing pread(2) on it and
> seqfiles don't support pread currently. Obviously, no such userspace
> exist for /proc/*/stack.

ok, i then dont understand why we are advocating seqfile use, while
seqfiles are inferior replacements in certain aspects (no pread(2)
support). Adding pread(2) support would remove all doubt, and it could
be converted all across the spectrum, eliminating any confusion about
which facility to use, right?

Ingo