Re: Signals to cinit

From: Sukadev Bhattiprolu
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 14:08:10 EST

Oleg Nesterov [oleg@xxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
| On 11/10, sukadev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
| >
| > Also, what happens if a fatal signal is first received from a descendant
| > and while that is still pending, the same signal is received from ancestor
| > ns ? Won't the second one be ignored by legacy_queue() for the non-rt case ?

On second thoughts, cinit is a normal process in its ancestor ns so it
might very well ignore the second instance of the signal (as long as it
does not ignore SIGKILL/SIGSTOP)

| Please see my another email:
|
| We must also change sig_ignored() to drop SIGKILL/SIGSTOP early when
| it comes from the same ns. Otherwise, it can mask the next SIGKILL
| from the parent ns.

Ok.

| But this perhaps makes sense anyway, even without containers.
| Currently, when the global init has the pending SIGKILL, we can't
| trust __wait_event_killable/etc, and this is actually wrong.
|
| We can drop other SIG_DFL signals from the same namespace early as well.

I think Eric's patchset did this and iirc, we ran into the problem of
blocked SIG_DFL signals ?

| I seem to already did something like sig_init_ignored(), but I forgot.

Yes, I think we had that in the patchset but that was not merged.

| Or, we can just ignore this (imho) minor problem.

I think so too.

| The ancestor ns
| must know it can't reliably kill cinit with (say) SIGTERM. It can
| be ignored, or it can have have a handler, and it can be lost because
| SIGTERM is already pending. Only SIGKILL is special.
|
| Actually. I personally think that if we manage to achieve that
|
| - the sub-namespace can't kill its init
|
| - the ancestor can always kill cinit with SIGKILL

Yep.