Re: [patch 0/4] [RFC] Another proportional weight IO controller

From: Divyesh Shah
Date: Thu Nov 13 2008 - 17:57:44 EST

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:41:57AM -0800, Divyesh Shah wrote:

> > > If I dynamically disable the bio control, then I did not observe any
> > > impact on performance. Because in that case practically it boils down
> > > to just an additional variable check in __make_request().

> > > I have not tried this case.
> > >
> > > Ryo, do you still want to stick to two level scheduling? Given the problem
> > > of it breaking down underlying scheduler's assumptions, probably it makes
> > > more sense to the IO control at each individual IO scheduler.
> >
> > Vivek,
> > I agree with you that 2 layer scheduler *might* invalidate some
> > IO scheduler assumptions (though some testing might help here to
> > confirm that). However, one big concern I have with proportional
> > division at the IO scheduler level is that there is no means of doing
> > admission control at the request queue for the device. What we need is
> > request queue partitioning per cgroup.
> > Consider that I want to divide my disk's bandwidth among 3
> > cgroups(A, B and C) equally. But say some tasks in the cgroup A flood
> > the disk with IO requests and completely use up all of the requests in
> > the rq resulting in the following IOs to be blocked on a slot getting
> > empty in the rq thus affecting their overall latency. One might argue
> > that over the long term though we'll get equal bandwidth division
> > between these cgroups. But now consider that cgroup A has tasks that
> > always storm the disk with large number of IOs which can be a problem
> > for other cgroups.
> > This actually becomes an even larger problem when we want to
> > support high priority requests as they may get blocked behind other
> > lower priority requests which have used up all the available requests
> > in the rq. With request queue division we can achieve this easily by
> > having tasks requiring high priority IO belong to a different cgroup.
> > dm-ioband and any other 2-level scheduler can do this easily.
> >

> Hi Divyesh,
>
> I understand that request descriptors can be a bottleneck here. But that
> should be an issue even today with CFQ where a low priority process
> consume lots of request descriptors and prevent higher priority process
> from submitting the request.

Yes that is true and that is one of the main reasons why I would lean
towards 2-level scheduler coz you get request queue division as well.

I think you already said it and I just
> reiterated it.
>
> I think in that case we need to do something about request descriptor
> allocation instead of relying on 2nd level of IO scheduler.
> At this point I am not sure what to do. May be we can take feedback from the
> respective queue (like cfqq) of submitting application and if it is already
> backlogged beyond a certain limit, then we can put that application to sleep
> and stop it from consuming excessive amount of request descriptors
> (despite the fact that we have free request descriptors).

This should be done per-cgroup rather than per-process.

IMHO, to abandon the 2-level approach without having a solid plan for
tackling this issue might not be the best idea coz that will
invalidate the SLA that the proportional b/w controller promises.