Re: Add option to passively listen for PCIE hotplug events

From: Alan Jenkins
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 12:07:37 EST

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 04:08:54PM +0000, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>

>> Bump. In case you're still slightly confused, I've found out why. It
>> skips the slot power check because POWER_CTRL(ctrl) == 0. (See "Power
>> Controller" in the debug output below).
>>

> Ok. I'm beginning to think that this approach is misguided. The Aspire
> One should be handled by the acpiphp changes I've posted. The Eee makes
> significantly less sense to me. It runs XP, so it can't depend on native
> PCIe hotplugging. It sends ACPI notifications when the kill state
> changes but there's no topological relationship between the device that
> receives them and the device that needs to be hotplugged.
>
> What I'm actually beginning to suspect is that this should be handled by
> eee-laptop. Can you give the following patch a go, without any pciehp
> code loaded?

Will do.

Note that Xandros say the newest model EeePC (S101) 'is now using a
"normal" kill of the antenna, which is easier to work with'.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=48D6AC5E.70502%40xandros.com

So if you're unlucky, the current eeepc-laptop worked perfectly on the
S101, and now it will simply refuse to load :). But it's probably safer
that way. At least the 701 runs quite adequately without eeepc-laptop.
I guess it can be fixed when someone interested gets their hands on an S101.

Thanks
Alan