Re: In-kernel IR remote control support

From: Maxim Levitsky
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 12:38:19 EST

Emmanuel Fust wrote:
Hi,

>Christoph Bartelmus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on 12 Nov 08 at 14:39, J.R. Mauro wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Great, it's nice to see there's cooperation.
>>
>> LOL. There's just a small omission from Jon's side...
>> Yes, LIRC people know about this. And Jon has a no-go from me.
>>
>> Decoding IR protocols in-kernel is the wrong way IMHO and this will not be
>> supported by LIRC as long as I maintain LIRC.
>> It's simply not possible to decode all existing IR protocols and LIRC just
>> stores the timing data for these protocols as-is without trying to decode
>> them. With the in-kernel decoding approach these remotes cannot be
>> supported. I'm not willing to sacrifice the support for these even though
>> they only consist of a very small fraction of remotes in use.
>+1
>
>I agree completely.
>This way we can make lirc to recognize any remote.
>
>Don't yet have a general receiver, but when I have one, I would like to use my remotes,
>and who knows what protocols they use...
>

>Best solution is to make new input layer message, a raw PCM data.
No, raw PCM data has nothing to do as an input layer message. Is is not an input event.

>or, you can even keep the daemon, but make it inject input events back to input system.

Exactly as Jon designed it. Use the raw sysfs interface to get raw data and inject input events back to input system.

>The only think I don't like at all about lirc is that you need special library to talk
> to it while I want remotes to be used as a keyboards.
>
>Btw, one can write a lirc client that does the above, but this is hackish.
>
>Some standard ir protocols can be decoded in kernel, but there should be standard
> (not debug) way to do so in userspace.

Call it raw instead of debug and you're done. Lircd will be the main if not the only regular user of this raw interface.
I was under impression that sysfs interface isn't fit for everyday use.
Is it at least possible to receive a continuous stream of data?
Then lets rename it to regular not debug interface.

Jon did a wonderful jobs, it's thin, simple, clean and fit perfectly with the input system. No more specialized libs. With a little work, existing decoders could cover more than 70% the IR remotes. With more engines, we could rapidly cover more than 95% of know IR protocols. A simplified lircd could at any time cover the rest.
Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

Bests regards,
Emmanuel.
---

/CrÃez votre adresse <http://www.laposte.net> Ãlectronique prenom.nom@xxxxxxxxxxx
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus intÃgrÃs./