Re: kernel BUG at fs/buffer.c:471! with 2.6.27.6

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 12:50:41 EST

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:24:19PM +0000, Alessandro Bono wrote:
> Hi all
>
> second time I hit this bug, first time with 2.6.26.6 (reported to xfs ml
> without response)
> Condition are similar: rsync from remote server via ssh to a local usb hd
> with a xfs filesystem but connection this time is with a wired ethernet
> not wifi
> Tell me if you need other info
>
> kernel BUG at fs/buffer.c:471!

In 2.6.27.6 line 471 in fs/buffer.c is inside write and looks like this:

first = page_buffers(page)

and page_buffers is defined as:

#define page_buffers(page) \
({ \
BUG_ON(!PagePrivate(page)); \
((struct buffer_head *)page_private(page)); \
})

So we get a page without page_private set.

Now XFS always creates buffers in writepage when it doesn't have those
yet using the VFS helper create_empty_buffers which calls
attach_page_buffers, which sets the page private flag.

Given that the binary 3d driver always caused random VM problems can you
try to reproduce it with one loaded?