Re: Active waiting with yield()

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 14:34:37 EST

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Alan Cox wrote:

> > * driver unload --- check the count of outstanding requests and call
> > yield() repeatedly until it goes to zero, then unload.
>
> Use a wakeup when the request count hits zero
>
> > * reduced size of data structures (and reduced cache footprint for the hot
> > path that actually processes requests)
>
> The CPU will predict the non-wakeup path if that is normal. You can even
> make the wakeup use something like
>
> if (exiting & count == 0)
>
> to get the prediction righ
>
> > The downside of yield is slower unloading of the driver by few tens of
> > miliseconds, but the user doesn't really care about fractions of a second
> > when unloading drivers.
>
> And more power usage, plus extremely rude behaviour when virtualising.

How these unlikely cases can be rude?

If I have a race condition that gets triggered just for one user in the
world when repeatedly loading & unloading a driver for an hour, and I use
yield() to solve it, what's wrong with it? A wait queue increases cache
footprint for every user. (even if I use preallocated hashed wait queue,
it still eats a cacheline to access it and find out that it's empty)

Mikulas