Re: ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, transactions will use pollingmode

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 01:41:40 EST

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 20:19 +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 of November 2008, Justin Mattock wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Alan Jenkins
> > <alan-jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Be aware there's a real possibility this was only a cosmetic fix (and
> > > regression).
> > >
> > > I think the original GPE storm avoidance printed that message by default.
> > > Then the "transaction in interrupt context" made the message into a
> > > pr_debug(), - i.e. disabled it by default. And then my "make messages more
> > > useful when GPE storm is detected" re-enabled it.
> > >
> > > IIRC, this flip-flopping is contained within 2.6.28-rc. I.e. I don't think
> > > it will show up as a (cosmetic) regression when jumping straight from 2.6.27
> > > to 2.6.28. Though I suspect it will shows up between certain versions of
> > > -stable.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Alan
> > >

> > O.K. I think I was wrong about stating
> > this was not caused by the discharging and charging of the battery.
> > to retrace my steps
> > yesterday I pulled, then recompiled, then
> > let the system idle for a few, then once I moved the computer to the
> > other room,(unplugged/plugged the A/C adapter)
> > the light turned orange on the A/C adapter then once
> > the battery became fully charged(green light on A/C adapter)
> > the gpe storm was triggered. Once I saw the gpe storm, I rebooted
> > (under the impression the battery was in a good state),
> > instantly the gpe storm was triggered. leading me
> > to beleive this was something else.
> > So after seeing that and sending a post I used the
> > acpi_osi=Darwin option sat had a beer and worried about it tomorrow.
> > Now when I woke up, and saw the commits from rafael(thanks for the help)
> > I decided to make sure this was reproducible, So removing the acpi_osi option,
> > then let the system idled. To my amazement the
> > gpe storm was not triggered at all.
> > (even unplugging and plugging the A/C multiple times had no effect)
> > After a while thinking what the hell is going on here, I decided to discharge
> > the battery to around 97% or 5 min. and then charge to see if this
> > triggers the gpe storm. Well sure enough it did.(attached is dmesg);
> >
> > So for now should I go and individually revert the commits; charge,
> > and discharge
> > to locate the culprit, or is this something completely different?
>
> Well, you have only one
> "ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, transactions will use polling mode" message in
> the log, so the EC code seems to work as expected and you _really_ have an
> interrupt storm that is worked around.
>
> Not sure what's causing it to happen, though.
>
> Thanks,
> Rafael

Well; reverting:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=06cf7d3c7af902939cd1754abcafb2464060cba8
is keeping the system from having a gpe storm
(for at least four hours now);
haven't had a chance to drain the battery and see
the affects from that scenario.

regards;
--
Justin P. Mattock <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx>