Re: Fix broken ownership of /proc/sys/ files

From: Al Viro
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 23:07:01 EST

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:23:47PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Al Viro wrote:
> >
> > D'oh...
>
> So I applied this, but I wonder if it might not be nice to make
> new_inode() (or rather - 'alloc_inode()') initialize some more of the
> really core members.
>
> We already initialize a _lot_ of fields, including fields that most
> filesystem would likely end up re-initializing when reading an inode (like
> i_size and i_nlink). Maybe it would be more sensible to initialize
> i_gid/uid there too, when we are guaranteed to have that cacheline dirty
> anyway (because we're initializing everything around those fields).

*nod*

It certainly makes sense to do it in a uniform way - there's enough
users of new_inode() that want exactly that. I'll do that as soon
as I get from under a huge pile of pending mail ;-/

ObPendingStuff: would you mind a series of section annotations? That's
a bunch of trivial one-liners and it kills the section noise - the remaining
ones are few and tricky. It had sat around in my tree for several weeks
and I can certainly carry it until the next cycle, but OTOH this stuff
*is* trivial and the noise is annoying as hell.