Just a small question on new kernels

From: Manfred Preußig
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 07:14:00 EST

Hello,
since I haven't a subscription yet for the list please send all
answers to me in addition.

I only want to know one thing: Is there any plan to 'let the older
ide driver die' in kernel or have they done it at all yet? I use an
ide disk with more than 15 partitions due to historic reasons and
don't want to change this. With the kernel I use at the moment I can
add a kernel param (hwprobe=-modules.pata) to prevent the newer
driver from handling the disk and so it works but what's about newer
kernels and what is planned for the future?

many thanks for any answer (or a link to an answer I overlooked in
archive or FAQ)

Manfred Preussig