Re: Just a small question on new kernels

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 07:59:18 EST

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 13:13, Manfred PreuÃig <PreussigM@xxxxxx> wrote:
> since I haven't a subscription yet for the list please send all
> answers to me in addition.
>
> I only want to know one thing: Is there any plan to 'let the older
> ide driver die' in kernel or have they done it at all yet? I use an
> ide disk with more than 15 partitions due to historic reasons and
> don't want to change this. With the kernel I use at the moment I can
> add a kernel param (hwprobe=-modules.pata) to prevent the newer
> driver from handling the disk and so it works but what's about newer
> kernels and what is planned for the future?
>
> many thanks for any answer (or a link to an answer I overlooked in
> archive or FAQ)

sd* block devices, or libata drivers will not have a limit on partitions:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=3e1a7ff8a0a7b948f2684930166954f9e8e776fe

Kay
¢éì®&Þ~º&¶¬–+-±éÝ¥Šw®žË±Êâmébžìdz¹Þ)í…æèw*jg¬±¨¶‰šŽŠÝj/êäz¹ÞŠà2ŠÞ¨è­Ú&¢)ß«a¶Úþø®G«éh®æj:+v‰¨Šwè†Ù>Wš±êÞiÛaxPjØm¶Ÿÿà -»+ƒùdš_