Re: regression introduced by - timers: fix itimer/many thread hang

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 08:36:48 EST

On 11/14, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> Currently I am trying to find the ugly, but simple fixes for 2.6.28.
>
> account_group_user_time(), run_posix_cpu_timers() are simpler to
> fix. Again, I need to actually read the code, but afaics we can
> rely on the fact that the task is current, so we can change the
> code
>
> - if (!->signal)
> + if (->exit_state)
> return;

Yes, unless I missed something again, this should work. I'll send
the (simple) patches soon, but I have no idea how to test them.

However, I'm afraid there is another problem. On 32 bit cpus we can't
read "u64 sum_exec_runtime" atomically, and so thread_group_cputime()
can "overestimate" ->sum_exec_runtime by (up to) UINT_MAX if it races
with the thread which updates its per_cpu_ptr(.totals). This for example
means that check_process_timers() can fire the CPUCLOCK_SCHED timers
before time.

No?

Oleg.