Re: [ath5k-devel] Bugs on aspire one A150

From: Maxim Levitsky
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 13:55:34 EST

Bob Copeland wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:57:22 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote
Bob Copeland wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:51:47PM +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
Why it doesn't accept new mac?, can this be fixed?
Any update on mac changer status?
As a first stab, can you try this patch? This sets the address on
Works almost perfectly,

when I load the module, then run macchanger, and then ifconfig wlan0 up
then it works, if I do an ifconfig up once, then ifdowning the interface, it
doesn't.

Yeah, I had actually written more for that patch originally, but didn't post it because it was a bit more invasive. I think the issue is just that start() shouldn't program the mac at all and let add_interface handle that.
I'll post a revised patch in a day or two.

The noise floor calibration issue bites me again and gain.
When it shows up, usually card continues to work, but at next assotiation
stops working.

Does this help?
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=122570806813839&w=2
I'll test this, I guess that it should indeed help.

Transfer speeds are unusually low:

You can try using the minstrel rate control algorithm, it may help.
This actually seems to be iwl3945 bug.

This is the tests I did:

1 . Upload / download from my desktop computer (connected via wired interface)
Speeds are rock solid 1.3 Mbytes/s in both directions

2. Then I tried to upload to my laptop (iwl3945)
Speeds were around 600 Kbytes/s, then after few minutes the ath5k dropped association, associated
again and transfer speed dropped below 64 Kbyte/s
(They didn't stall thought)

3. Then I reloaded the ath5k, it didn't help, 64 Kbyte/s again.

4. Then I tried to transfer files to desktop, 1.3 Mbytes/s again.

5. then tried the laptop, 64 Kbyte/s again

6. Then I reloaded the iwl3945 on laptop, and got 600 Kbytes/s.

It still isn't very clear who is responsible, but this is very fishy.
Maybe the ath5k shouldn't drop association, though.

600 Kbytes/s isn't good ether.

Also ath5k stopped working at all, when I did long test transfer between desktop and laptop, dmesg was full
of some strange message repeated, I haven't been able to reproduce that again, when I do, I will post that message.

In general, ath5k works nice here, big thanks to you for such great work.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky