BUG? timer_create() with SIGEV_THREAD not working (at least on ppc64)

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 11:15:15 EST

The code below sets up a simple timer with SIGEV_THREAD. I compiled the code as "g++ timertest.cc -o timertest -lrt -pthread".

Running it on my G5 with 2.6.27 (but with an older glibc), it prints:

Creating timer
Setting timer 268509264 for 5-second expiration...

and then the timer never expires. I have an old Fedora Core 4 x86 machine and there it works as expected.

Is there some hard requirement to upgrade glibc? If not, then this looks like a bug somewhere.

Thanks,

Chris

int main(void)
{
timer_t timer_id;
struct itimerspec its;
struct sigevent se;

// set timer signal event
se.sigev_notify = SIGEV_THREAD;
se.sigev_value.sival_ptr = &timer_id;
se.sigev_notify_function = handler;
se.sigev_notify_attributes = NULL;

if ( timer_create(CLOCK_REALTIME, &se, &timer_id) < 0)
{
printf("create timer failed\n");
fflush(0);
return 0;
}

// set timer.
its.it_value.tv_sec = 1;
its.it_value.tv_nsec = 0;
its.it_interval.tv_sec = 1;
its.it_interval.tv_nsec = 0;
if ( timer_settime(timer_id, 0, &its, NULL) < 0)
{
printf("set timer failed\n");
fflush(0);
return 0;