Re: Current state of Network Namespaces (NETNS, CLONE_NEWNET)?

From: Daniel Lezcano
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 02:54:55 EST

Michael Kerrisk wrote:
Sorry for the shotgun mail, but in the end, it's
not clear who can best answer my question(s).

I'm currently trying to add documentation of all of
the undocumented CLONE_* flags. One of these is
CLONE_NEWNET, and I could use (quite a lot of) help.

My questions:

What is the current state of the network namespace implementation? Is it complete?

It is not complete but mostly usable for ipv4 and ipv6.

There is a network namespace status I filled at:

http://lxc.sourceforge.net/network/status.php

It should be up-to-date.

What objects are considered part of the network namespace, and therefore distinct for a new network namespace?

The network namespace brings isolation from the layer-2 to upper layers.

Is there any documentation for network namespaces already?

http://lxc.sourceforge.net/network.php
http://lxc.sourceforge.net/doc/sigops/appcr.pdf

Are there any test programs for network namespaces?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxc/

follow the README page. It is still in development but mainly usable - any feedbacks are welcome :)