Re: gitwatch: RSS feed of checkpatch+coccinelle against new commits in mainline

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 03:57:27 EST

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:20:48PM +0100, Vegard Nossum wrote:
>> I've written a script that follows the mainline git repository and
>> runs checkpatch against all new commits. The result is available as an
>> RSS stream:
>>
>> http://kernel.org/~vegard/gitwatch.rss
>>
>> Only commits with warnings or errors are shown. Files that change are
>> also searched for known/frequent coding errors using Coccinelle and a
>> selection of the semantic patches found on the Coccinelle website.
>
> Thats pretty intresting. Looking at some of the cochinelle output I am
> a little confused as to what its saying. Am I right in thinking that
> for those reports that a proposed patch is printed, after the comment
> for the original patch? If so it might be helpful to say something like
> 'proposed modificiation' just before the patchlet.

You are correct, those are the modifications that would have been made
by the semantic patch. I agree, it might look like the log text
belongs to the patch below, which is wrong. We are also planning to
add a description to each of the semantic patches so that a better
explanation is given for the change.

> Also which version of checkpatch is this output being generated with?
> The one at the head of the git tree or something else? I see a couple
> of false positives in there that I know I have fixed already.

Yes, it's a copy of the one in linux-2.6.git (after v2.6.28-rc4). The
file itself says 0.24. Which false positives were you thinking about?

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it