Re: mm: slab - __cache_alloc NULL prefetch fix

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 15:07:42 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:44:00 +0300, Cyrill Gorcunov said:

- prefetchw(objp);
- if (likely(objp))
+ if (likely(objp)) {
+ prefetchw(objp);
kmemcheck_slab_alloc(cachep, flags, objp, obj_size(cachep));
+ }

Although it probably makes sense to not bother prefetching NULL, I also
need to wonder how useful it is to prefetch something that we then
turn around and dereference in the very next line of code.

Note that kmemcheck_slab_alloc() is going to be a no-op on anything but a special developer or tester debug config.