Re: [take 3] Use pid in inotify events.

From: Ville Syrjälä
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 15:50:49 EST

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:43:41AM -0500, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> I think what is really needed at this point is some consideration of
> what other extensions (if any) might be desired for inotify, and how
> we might be best create a design that suits those and future needs.

In case people are taking notes for "inotify ng" I have one improvement
request. Add some way to know when a move event is complete. Currently if
you're just wathing the source or target directory of a move you only get
one of the MOVED_FROM/MOVED_TO events. Not knowing whether you'll
eventually receive the other half of the event is problematic when you
want to treat such unpaired events the same as DELETE/CREATE events.

--
Ville Syrjälä
syrjala@xxxxxx