RE: debugctl msr

From: Metzger, Markus T
Date: Fri Nov 21 2008 - 03:59:19 EST

The code heavily relies on ds_validate().
I would expect a lot of things to break down if ds_validate() were
disabled.

>I found the reason why in system-wide my kernel was crashing.
>It was due to the way you are writing DS_AREA_MSR in
>ds_allocate_context():
>
> if (!task || (task == current))
> wrmsr(MSR_IA32_DS_AREA, (unsigned
>long)context->ds, 0);

Thanks. I have a fix in my sandbox.

I won't be able to send the patches out this week. Especially the
interface change to introduce the handle is quite big. I should have
them early next week.

regards,
markus.
Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052