Re: Some FTRACE related question

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Sat Nov 22 2008 - 08:30:53 EST

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Peter Teoh wrote:

> Q1: how to use ftrace to ftrace itself? (i would like to see some
> ftrace-triggered flow) In view of the following patch:

ftrace can be very dangerous, (the function tracer part of ftrace).
It would be very difficult for ftrace to ftrace itself.
When I need to debug ftrace, I use my old tracer logdev:

http://rostedt.homelinux.com/logdev

> Is it to prevent this from being possible?
>
> Q2: how to ftrace s2ram and resume? I attempted to do it, but the
> trace output is always filled with "resume" related functions when it
> started up, which is only logical.

s2ram does a lot of nasty tricks. On startup, it calls functions before
smp_prossor_id() is defined. We use that to disable ftrace recursion (see
Q1 ;-). But if you use that in s2ram resume, it will blow up.

Now, you can try to hack ftrace for your own tracing to handle the above
problems.

-- Steve