Re: Need to pay to use the word "Linux" in commercialproducts/services!

From: david
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 17:43:20 EST

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, andy wrote:

I found it a bit strange that the word "Linux" has to be licensed!
The "word" is protected under GPL v2, as it is appear first in 1991
in GPL code. Trademarks and Patents are not allowed in GPL!
The registration of the name at later point of time, and now the
licensing terms are very confusing to me, could someone help
me to understand better please?

1. Trademarks are definantly allowed with GPL code.

2. what are you referring to when you say the work Linux has to be licensed?

David Lang