Re: Need to pay to use the word "Linux" in commercialproducts/services!

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 17:57:14 EST

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:39:27 +0000
andy <rootstrap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I found it a bit strange that the word "Linux" has to be licensed!
> The "word" is protected under GPL v2, as it is appear first in 1991
> in GPL code. Trademarks and Patents are not allowed in GPL!
> The registration of the name at later point of time, and now the
> licensing terms are very confusing to me, could someone help
> me to understand better please?

The GPL protects copyrights not trademarks. The Linux trademarking is an
interesting question and I know a lot of companies take the view that the
mark is unenforcable. On the other hand it stops abuse of the name for
other unrelated software.

A lot of others of course simply omit the 'Linux' from official names of
commercial projects ;) and I've not seen any attempt to charge licensing
fees to anyone else.

Alan