Re: [patch 23/24] perfmon: kernel documentation

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 07:10:51 EST

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:43:00AM -0800, eranian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I assume you'll be also submitting manpages with the same information?

> +
> + A monitoring session is uniquely identified by a file descriptor obtained
> + when the session is created. File sharing semantics apply to access the
> + session inside a process. A session is never inherited across fork. The file
> + descriptor can be used to receive counter overflow notifications or when the
> + sampling buffer is full. It is possible to use poll/select on the descriptor
> + to wait for notifications from multiple sessions. Similarly, the descriptor
> + supports asynchronous notifications via SIGIO.

What happens when the fd is passed between processes using unix sockets fd
passing?

I don't think "simple" is the right word to describe pfmon/libpfm @)

> + There maybe other tools available for perfmon.

s/maybe/are/ ?

> +
> + To destroy a session, the regular close() system call is used.

Some simple syscall examples would be nice. e.g. how to set up a counter
that it can be accessed using RDPMC on x86.

> + /sys/kernel/perfmon/arg_mem_max(read-write):
> +
> + Maximum size of vector arguments expressed in bytes.
> + It can be modified but must be at least a page.
> + Default: PAGE_SIZE

Is there any good reason ever to enlarge this beyond a page?

If it just depends on future hardware it would make more sense
to let a driver patch for that adjust it.

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx