Re: [patch 20/24] perfmon: system calls interface

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 09:01:23 EST

* eranian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <eranian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> +static int pfm_task_incompatible(struct pfm_context *ctx,
> + struct task_struct *task)
> +{
> + /*
> + * cannot attach to a kernel thread
> + */
> + if (!task->mm) {
> + PFM_DBG("cannot attach to kernel thread [%d]", task->pid);
> + return -EPERM;
> + }
> +
> + /*
> + * cannot attach to a zombie task
> + */
> + if (task->exit_state == EXIT_ZOMBIE || task->exit_state == EXIT_DEAD) {
> + PFM_DBG("cannot attach to zombie/dead task [%d]", task->pid);
> + return -EBUSY;
> + }
> + return 0;
> +}

The ptrace coupling code seems broken.

It is used in the following context:

+ /*
+ * returns 0 if cannot attach
+ */
+ ret1 = ptrace_may_access(p, PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH);
+ if (ret1)
+ ret = ptrace_check_attach(p, 0);
+
+ PFM_DBG("may_attach=%d check_attach=%d", ret1, ret);
+
+ if (ret || !ret1)
+ goto error;
+
+ ret = pfm_task_incompatible(ctx, p);
+ if (ret)
+ goto error;

firstly, this code is critical to security, but the variable naming
and the control flow is shaped in a dangerous and error-prone way: two
opaque 'ret' and 'ret1' names, which have _inverted_ logical meaning:
for 'ret' a nonzero value means an error, for 'ret1' a zero value
means error.

This code _must_ be rewritten cleanly via a single 'err' variable.
There's absolutely no need to nest ret and ret1 here. If we may not
access via ptrace then we should error out pronto and not complicate
the flow.

Secondly, get rid of those PFM_DBG() calls there, they are not needed
in a production kernel and just obscure review.

Thirdly, the check for ->exit_state in pfm_task_incompatible() is not
needed: we've just passed ptrace_check_attach() so we know we just
transitioned the task to task->state == TASK_TRACED.

If you _ever_ see a task exit TASK_TRACED and go zombie or dead from
there without this code allowing it that means the whole state machine
with ptrace is borked up by perfmon. For example i dont see where the
perfmon-control task parents itself as the exclusive debugger (parent)
of the debuggee-task.

Without that being implemented properly, a parallel ptrace / perfmon
scenario (triggerable by unprivileged userspace) can go amok, crash
the kernel and likely open up various rootholes as well. The kludge in
pfm_task_incompatible() shows that this was probably seen in the field
and hacked around.

Ingo