Re: Is the change to IDE probing really necessary?

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 16:48:23 EST

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I think this is a case of 'I put best steam coal in my car and it
> didn't go'

"... but I was told it would."

I think less or different information (resulting in RTFM) might be more
helpful. Looking at the 2.6.27 code, I'd

- change the default to -1 (unset) and let ide_generic_init print the
text only if it's -1 (and then set it to the default value)
- change the text to
compiled_in? "please set ide_generic.probe_mask to use the generic IDE driver"
"please set probe_mask to probe for more legacy interfaces"
- not print anything if all interfaces are probed by default (non-x86)
- document "don't use this driver if there is a more specific driver"
next to the probe_mask documentation