Re: [BUG] kvm crashes in 2.6.28-rc6-00007-ged31348

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 07:24:20 EST

Luis Henriques wrote:
On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:44:55PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
Luis Henriques wrote:
No, I was not able to reproduce the issue. Please let me know if you need some
more information on my system (.config, for instance).
Were you using some other virtualization product? Were you running suspend/resume?

No for both questions. However, I had compiled support for suspend (not sure if
this is what you mean by "running suspend/resume") - This is a feature I used
only once or twice...

The underlying problem is that an svm instruction has been executed, but svm is disabled. Since kvm enables svm unconditionally on all processors on startup, there are only a few paths that can potentially trigger this:

- another virtualization module turned svm off
- cpu hotadd/hotremove (suspend/resume triggers this)
- something did a read-modify-write cycle on cr4 (which contains the svm enable bit) while kvm enabled that bit
- core was turned off (does linux power management do that?)

Anything ring a bell?