Re: EXT4 ENOSPC Bug

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 12:23:37 EST

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 09:04:41PM +0530, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:

> Can you make sure you have the below patch in the kernel.
>
> c001077f4003fa75793bb62979baa6241dd8eb19
>
> commit c001077f4003fa75793bb62979baa6241dd8eb19
> Author: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue Aug 19 22:19:50 2008 -0400
>
> ext4: Fix bug where we return ENOSPC even though we have plenty of inodes

Mmmm, good point, thanks. I had been assuming this was caused by some
failure in the delayed allocation code with block accounting, but we
also had a bug fix that was causing a problem with inode allocation.

That doesn't explain a report of an ENOSPC error with metadata only
changes were failing (i.e., touching a file that already exists),
although I don't think we've gotten a lot of information about that
scenario and it feels a little unconfirmed to me still...

So, yes, this patch may solve the issue for you.

- Ted