Re: About git-bisect (defconfigs)

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 12:51:59 EST

Francis Moreau wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Renato S. Yamane
> <yamane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau wrote:
>>> an other reason is perhaps you're using a computer that most common
>>> mortal don't have ;)
>>>
>>> Care to share your network configuration ;) ?
>> Maybe a repository with .config files used by linux hard-users (as most
>> developers here) can be very interesting to a lot of people get a starter.
>>

> Or perhaps just to keep 'make defconfig' uptodate with sane core values
> which should fit a desktop config ?
>
> BTW does anybody what the status of the defconfig files on x86 ?

I looked at them about 1 week ago. I know that Ingo or the x86 maintainers
team update them occasionally, but I'd like to see a few changes or some
questions answered:

1. Disable CONFIG_TR. Token ring is antiquated. No reason to be in defconfig.

2. There are several security-related config items that default to =y but the
kconfig help says: If unsure, say N here. Like:

CONFIG_NETLABEL=y
CONFIG_NETWORK_SECMARK=y
CONFIG_KEYS=y
CONFIG_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX=y

Maybe I just don't understand the current meaning/usage of defconfig. eh?

Thanks,
~Randy