nfs NULL procedure packets

From: Russell Miller
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 13:11:41 EST

Hi again, I was hoping someone here could answer another question. I
apologize if these are easy questions...

So a couple of days ago I was troubleshooting yet another NFS problem
(not the non-one I described a few days ago). I sent a 1G file over
to a server, did a TCP capture, and analyzed the results.

I noticed a lot of NULL procedure packets. A *lot* of them. In some
cases, one every 10 microseconds, and there were about 400,000 of them
I captured.

This seems like a lot of network traffic for very little reason.

Is this normal behavior, or something I should investigate further?
It seems to me like pinging the NFS server once every 10 microseconds
is a major waste of bandwidth.

--Russell