Re: Regression from 2.6.26: Hibernation (possibly suspend) brokenon Toshiba R500 (bisected)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 17:21:14 EST

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> However, this one appears to work reliably for me (on top of vanilla current
> mainline):

Not very interesting. It just does the same thing your previous patches
have done - ignores the cardbus slot for sizing. It just does it
differently and more explicitly.

Your original patch did it by simply giving the resources invalid
alignments (in a very non-obvious way). This one does it by being explicit
and saying "we won't care about cardbus resources behind transparent
bridges". But it's still a very hacky thing, and thus not really
interesting at all as a patch.

IOW, it's not a patch that makes sense - it's just a patch that ON YOUR
PARTICULAR MACHINE causes us to get the layout you want in order to hide
the bug. And it doesn't really even do anything new - it's just doing the
same thing in an old way.

But it's interesting that the "don't size _anything_ behind a transparent
bridge" apparently made no difference for you.

Can you send "lspci -vv" and "dmesg" output for that kernel? Even if it
failed the suspend/resume, it's interesting, because I would actually have
expected that one to have the same layout as the successful ones.

Linus