Re: Runaway loop with the current git.

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 13:32:28 EST

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 19:16, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 21:03:50 +0300
> Evgeniy Polyakov <zbr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've built current (aaad07763) git tree with config, which worked ok
>> with 2.6.27 (pressed enter several times when 'make oldconfig' asked)
>> and now system fails to boot.
>>
>> Attached screen dump and config.
>>
>> I'm not subscribed, please add to copy.
>
> Your modprobe is for some reason triggering a load of /dev/ttyS* (ie the
> serial 8250 stuff) from within the module loading scripts. You'll need to
> debug the user space and work out why the loop is happening then it
> should be fairly easy to fix.

Why do you think it's serial? 5-1 looks more like /dev/console.

This also seems to happen only in initramfs for people who see this.
People say that compiling-in some modules (unfortunately they don't
remember which) makes it work again.

Can this be some init order problem, that the /dev/console is not
initialized but, we fork a process which tries to access it?

Kay