Re: [RFC] New functions to manipulate registers for ethtool

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 04:02:42 EST

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 00:54:31 PST, David Miller said:
> From: Hitoshi Mitake <mitake@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:12:30 +0900
>
> > I want to add two new functions to ethtool.
> >
> > One is for setting driver's registers on MMIO area like
> > --change-eeprom option.
>
> You can map the registers into userspace using the bus
> level mmap facilities exported to userspace.
>
> No ethtool support is necessary for this.

Yes, but if Hitoshi wants to tell a user "run this command and send me
the output", what's the incantation the user needs to use?

The user probably has ethtool installed if they have a semi-sane distro.
Their eyeballs are just gonna glaze over if they're asked to map the registers
into userspace.. ;)