IP over Fibre Channel slower than GigaEthernet ?

From: Zhiwen Zheng
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 01:30:33 EST

Hi,

To compare tcp transport speed of IP over FC to that of GigaEthernet,
I have two machines connected directly with FC or GigaEther, and run
ttcp to get the result.

configuration of the machines:
kernel version : 2.6.10
platform : xscale iop80331 500MHz
memory : 512MB DDR2
FC controller : LSI FC949x (using driver mptlan.c)
GigaEthernet controller : Intel 82546EB

In the Ethernet case, the transport speed is about 90MB/s,
and cpu usage is about 90%.

In the FC case, the transport speed is about 60MB/s,
and cpu usage is also about 90%.

Could someone tell me why FC is slower than GigaEthernet?
And is it possible to reduce the cpu usage through DMA or something else ?

Thanks.