Re: Linux 2.6.28-rc8

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 02:57:58 EST

On Thursday 11 December 2008 12:04, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Nothing overly exciting here. Lots of small things, mostly in drivers
> (with some defconfig updates for m68k and mips making the diffs bigger).
>
> There's some uncomfortably big changes to the intel DRI code, but most of
> that is all about fixes to the new i916 "GEM" code that is only used by
> development X servers, and is a new feature, so it shouldn't be able to
> cause regressions.
>
> Perhaps more interesting is simply the release scheduling issue. I'm
> getting slowly ready to do a real 2.6.28, but I don't think anybody really
> wants the merge window to be around the holidays. So the question is
> really whether to
>
> (a) just make the -rc's go on a few more weeks, and do 2.6.28 after xmas
>
> I like this, because alledgely people are debugging things, and we'd
> get a more stable 2.6.28.

I still have one fix for a reported regression (softlink code doesn't
honour GFP_NOFS, caused by a patch of mine). Posted a couple of weeks
ago, but it didn't get anywhere.

I thought it would be good to have in 2.6.28, but it's been present in
a couple of releases now, so maybe Andrew didn't think it worth the
trouble?