Re: Linux 2.6.28-rc8

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 08:48:41 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nothing overly exciting here. Lots of small things, mostly in drivers
> (with some defconfig updates for m68k and mips making the diffs
> bigger).
>
> There's some uncomfortably big changes to the intel DRI code, but most
> of that is all about fixes to the new i916 "GEM" code that is only used
> by development X servers, and is a new feature, so it shouldn't be able
> to cause regressions.
>
> Perhaps more interesting is simply the release scheduling issue. I'm
> getting slowly ready to do a real 2.6.28, but I don't think anybody
> really wants the merge window to be around the holidays. So the
> question is really whether to
>
> (a) just make the -rc's go on a few more weeks, and do 2.6.28 after xmas
>
> I like this, because alledgely people are debugging things, and we'd
> get a more stable 2.6.28.

i'd really vote for a) because there's nothing worse to overlap xmas with
than with merge window stress. A couple of key developers wont be around
either in that timeframe (whose stuff is pending) - making early reaction
to breakage in the merge window rather laggy and awkward.

A Dec 31 release would be perfect [ 84 days will have passed by then
since v2.6.27 which was released on Oct 9 ] and we would start 2009
exactly on point on the planned 3-months / 90 days schedule.

Here's our release cycle track record, and how much it deviates from the
max-90-days target:

2.6.28: 64 days [today]
on 31th: 84 days -6 days

2.6.27: 88 -2 days
2.6.26: 87 -3 days
2.6.25: 83 -7 days
2.6.24: 107 +17 days
2.6.23: 92 +2 days
2.6.22: 73 -17 days
2.6.21: 80 -10 days
2.6.20: 66 -26 days
2.6.19: 70 -20 days
2.6.18: 94 +4 days
2.6.17: 89 -1 day
2.6.16: 76 -14 days
2.6.15: 67 -23 days
2.6.14: 60 -30 days
2.6.13: 72 -18 days

We lost two and a half weeks with 2.6.24 that was released belatedly on
Jan 24 - we've made up all the ground for that already.

And the killer argument: there's nothing better to mask a nasty Jan 1
hangover with than with some merge window stress ;-)

Ingo