Re: [Question] Can I open a substream in kernel space without attach to a file pointer?

From: Bryan Wu
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 09:13:25 EST

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> At Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:19:21 +0800,
> Bryan Wu wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Well, this pretty much depends on the "sound card" you are accessing.
>> > You mentioned about AD1980 but the question is rather what
>> > controller is used. The codec chip is basically independent from the
>> > DMA transfer parameter.
>> >

>> Right, currently I'm trying AD1980 which using DMA transfer by
>> Blackfin BF54x processor.
>
> Is it an ASoC one?

Yes, it's.

>> > Also depends on the hardware. If the audio chip requires the DMA
>> > transfer, you'd need anyway a buffer.
>> >

>> So how to determine the buffer size based on the DMA hardware configuration?
>
> This should be done via usual hw_refine / hw_params ioctls.

in struct snd_pcm_hw_params, I guess only fifo_size is useful for me
to choose my buffer size, right?
If the fifo_size == 1K, so how big is OK for my buffer size?

The buffer size is so tricky here, I try to make my driver is
independent with the lower card hardware.
So I need to find a algorithm to choose the buffer size here.

>> I tried to change the period_size and buffer_size of the runtime struct.
>> It also didn't work.
>
> Well, the constraint is rather the "slave" sound card. You are
> actually creating a tunnel driver. The period size and buffer size
> are issues of the controller, thus you cannot change the parameters of
> the tunnel driver freely.

Exactly. And another question is whether is it possible using
nonblocking writing in my driver?

Thanks a lot for your patient answer.
-Bryan