Re: [rfc][patch] SLQB slab allocator

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 02:24:21 EST

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:07:23AM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Nick Piggin a écrit :
> > Is SLAB still bad at the test with the slab-rcu patch in place?
> > SLAB has a pretty optimal fastpath as well, although if its queues
> > start overflowing, it can run into contention quite easily.
>
> Yes, I forgot I applied Christoph patch (SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU for struct file)
> in the meantime, silly me, this was with the v2 of my serie, with only 5 patches.
>
> With SLAB, results are quite good !
>
> # time ./socketallocbench
>
> real 0m1.201s
> user 0m0.071s
> sys 0m1.122s
> # time ./socketallocbench -n8
>
> real 0m1.616s
> user 0m0.578s
> sys 0m12.220s

Yeah, SLAB is actually very hard to beat, much of the time.

> >> c0281e10 <kmem_cache_alloc>: /* kmem_cache_alloc total: 140659 10.8277 */
> >
> > I guess you're compiling with -Os? I find gcc can pack the fastpath
> > much better with -O2, and actually decrease the effective icache
> > footprint size even if the total text size increases...
>
> No, I dont use -Os, unless something got wrong
>
> # CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is not set
> # CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING is not set

Oh OK. Hmm, you do have SLQB debugging compiled in by the looks. I
haven't really been looking at code generation in that case. I don't
expect that would cause a significant difference in your case,
though.

Anyway, I'll see if I can work out why SLQB is slower. Do you have
socketallocbench online?