Re: [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v3

From: stephane eranian
Date: Sat Dec 13 2008 - 12:45:01 EST

Peter,

I don't think you understand what libpfm actually does and therefore
you rush to the wrong conclusion.

At its core, libpfm does NOT know anything about the perfmon kernel API.

I think you missed that, unfortunately.

It is a helper library which helps tool writer solves the event-> code
-> counter assignment problems.
That's it. It does not make any perfmon syscall at ALL to do that.
Proof is people have been using it on
Windows, I can also use it on MacOS.

Looking at your proposal, you think you won't need such a library and
that the kernel is
going to do all this for you. Let's go back to your kerneltop program:

KernelTop Options (up to 4 event types can be specified):

-e EID --event_id=EID # event type ID [default: 0]
0: CPU cycles
1: instructions
2: cache accesses
3: cache misses
4: branch instructions
5: branch prediction misses
< 0: raw CPU events

Looks like I can do:

$ kerneltop --event_id=-0x510088

You think users are going to come up with 0x510088 out of the blue?

I want to say:

$ kerneltop --event_id=BR_INST_EXEC --plm=user

Where do you think they are going to get that from?

The kernel or a helper user library?

Do not denigrate other people's software without understanding what it does.