Re: broken do_each_pid_{thread,task}

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 06:04:28 EST

On 12/15, Jiri Slaby wrote:

> Oleg Nesterov napsal(a):
> > On 12/14, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> >> I'm getting
> >> `if (type == PIDTYPE_PID)' is unreachable
> >> warning from kernel/exit.c. The preprocessed code looks like:
> >> do {
> >> struct hlist_node *pos___;
> >> if (pgrp != ((void *)0))
> >> for (LIST ITERATION) {
> >> {
> >> if (!((p->state & 4) != 0))
> >> continue;
> >> retval = 1;
> >> break;
> >> }
> >> if (PIDTYPE_PGID == PIDTYPE_PID)
> >> break;
> >> }
> >> } while (0);
> >> and it's obviously wrong.
> >
> > Why do you think it is wrong? This break stops the "hlist_for_each"
> > loop, not the enclosing "do while".
>
> The `continue' matters here (and also in other do_each_pid_task cases).
> Sorry for not mentioning it explicitly.

Still can't understand... OK, I think we misundersood each other.
Do you agree that the code is technically correct? Or I missed
something?

"continue" looks fine to me too, it is also for the inner loop.

> > Actually, I don't understand why the compiler complains, and I never
> > saw a warning myself.
>
> Because the `if' is not reachable :).

Yes, I see it is not reachable, but I don't understand why this
deserves a warning ;)

Look, "if (PIDTYPE_PGID == PIDTYPE_PID)" is not possible too, should
the compiler (or whatever) complain?

> (And it's not compiler which complains
> here.)

Ah, OK, thanks. Just curious, and who does?

> > Yes, this is obviously not what was intended. But afaics, this is
> > the only place which should be fixed?
>
> Actually yes. And add a big warning to the macros or whatever to not get
> into it later again.

Agreed.

Oleg.