Re: "Artem Onair Comcard 11": Variation found!

From: Michael Jarosch
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 04:33:29 EST

Am Freitag, den 05.12.2008, 14:30 +0300 schrieb Andrey Panin:
> On 338, 12 03, 2008 at 12:49:55PM +0100, Michael Jarosch wrote:

> > I recently bought a WLAN-PCMCIA-adaptor from Ebay, named "ARtem
Onair
> > Comcard 11", which is reported to work with linux on several places
in
> > the internet. Well - my special card doesn't work. [...] I did
> > some investigation about this card, which I want to tell you, and I
hope
> > that this will help someone of the kernel-team to get things right!
>
> Can you try to load orinoco_cs driver by hand and then add PCMCIA id
of
> your card using command below ?
>
> echo "0x3 0x0268 0x0003 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"
>/sys/bus/pcmcia/drivers/orinoco_cs/new_id

It works (partly)!
I got an ethernet device with ifconfig, called ethX. And I can do some
scanning with iwlist!

What I can't do is: switching to another channel (with "iwconfig eth0
channel 9" f.e.) - my device is always on channel 3, but the only AP I
could connect to is channel 9. So - still - I can't proof that the
card's now able to build a wireless connection with that driver. But
I'll keep going! Today, I've only got LXDE installed, but the next days
I'll try out gnome and it's network-manager and keep you up to date.

This is the output of "iwlist eth0 event":
eth0 Wireless Events supported :
0x8B04 : Set Frequency/Channel (kernel generated)
0x8B06 : Set Mode (kernel generated)
0x8B13 : Spy threshold crossed
0x8B15 : New Access Point/Cell address - roaming
0x8B19 : Scan request completed
0x8B1A : Set ESSID (kernel generated)
0x8B2A : Set Encoding (kernel generated)
0xBC00 : Tx packet dropped - retry exceeded

I also tried the "echo ..." command you sent me with the wavelan_cs
driver - it gave me an ethernet device but I couldn't do nothing with
it: So, one thing is clear: The tuxmobil.org entry is wrong. orinoco_cs
is the right driver! (At least, it is better than the wavelan_cs
driver...)

Greetings and many thanks!
Mitsch