Re: [RFC] globmatch() helper function

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 10:56:13 EST

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 16:15 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:28 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > "George Spelvin" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > Wow, finally a name.
> >
> > > break;
> > > case '*':
> > > if (pat[1] == '\0') /* Optimize trailing * case */
> > > return true;
> > > /* Recurse on each possible tail of str */
> > > while (!globmatch(pat+1, str))
> > > if (!*str++)
> > > return false;
> >
> > I'm uneasy with the unbounded recursion. Sure currently all the users
> > are controlled in kernel source code and expect to put in sane patterns.
> > But if someone ever adds a user controlled glob in some way it will be
> > trivial to crash/overwrite memory with the limited kernel stack.
> > And with such a generalized function it's likely to be used more
> > in the future.
>
> ftrace has a globbing thing in there somewhere as well and that does
> indeed take user input.
>
> Using recursion in kernel code is indeed not recommended, what Andi said
> we have tiny stacks.

ftrace has a very limited glob feature, and requires no recursion.
Basically, we allow:

*match

match*

*match*

We do not allow match*two, that would be the same as match*

I need to look at your code (I would like a generalized glob feature for
user input). Can you accomplish the same with using a loop instead of
recursion?

-- Steve