Re: FPU emulation broken in 2.6.28-rc8 ?

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 18:25:58 EST

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> > Geodes all have FPUs to my knowledge.
> > The only FPU less x87s are 386s and special 486s (and a few emulators)
> >
> > If the FPU doesn't work on the Geode something else must be broken
> > (or your CPU is not really a Geode)
>
> Although the /proc/cpuinfo file shows the FPU flag, the kernel stops
> with "no fpu found, and math emulation not present" if I disable
> FP emulation....
>
> chipolata:/etc/X11# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : CyrixInstead
> cpu family : 5
> model : 9
> model name : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 299.913
> cache size : 16 KB
> fdiv_bug : yes
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : no
> fpu_exception : no
> cpuid level : 2
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx cxmmx
> bogomips : 599.82
> clflush size : 32
> power management:

I've got a box with a Geode CPU here (although a slightly newer one than
yours) and it works fine without FPU/math emulation.

root@swampdragon:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 10
model name : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 499.894
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 999.78
clflush size : 32
power management: