Re: Dracut -- Cross distribution initramfs infrastructure

From: Hannes Reinecke
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 02:36:23 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:54:54PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
As davej started talking about a few months ago at Kernel Summit and
LPC, there's a lot of duplication between distros on the tools used to
generate the initramfs as well as the contents and how the initramfs
works. Ultimately, there's little reason for this not to be something
that is shared and worked on by everyone. Added to this is the fact
that everyone's infrastructures for this have grown up over a long-ish
period of time without significant amounts of reworking for the way that
the kernel and early boot works these days.

Therefore I've started on a new project, dracut, to try to be a new
initramfs tool that can be used across various distributions. From the
README...

It looks like Hannes has also been working on a new, modular initramfs
for a while:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/hare/mkinitrd.git;a=summary

I hope you guys can get together and agree on one implementation..

Thanks hch for pointing this out.

We definitely should get together to hammer our one implementation.
Having different scripts for every distributions is a PITA.

I'm not saying my implementation is the greatest on earth, so
if anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears.

If anyone is interested I can give a short overview of it.
As per normal, proper documentation is about to be written RSN.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke zSeries & Storage