Re: linux-next: Tree for December 17 (Radeon DRM BUG)

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 18:40:29 EST

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 23:09 +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> tOn Thursday 18 December 2008, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This reminds me that drm tree in linux-next still results in BSOD (Black
> > > Screen Of Death) on starting X for me (as reported on Saturday [1]).
> > >
> > > Actually there is more to it as I discovered that my custom X radeon driver
> > > (which is xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0-61.fc10.i386 with "radeon: no need for this
> > > anymore" from radeon-gem-cs change reverted, please see [2] for my previous
> > > monologue) works fine while following stock driver versions:
> > >
> > > xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.8.0-19.fc9.i386
> > > xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0-61.fc10.i386
> > > xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0-62.fc10.i386
> > >
> > > result in BSOD. OTOH they all work with next-20081128 (modulo hangs with
> > > fc10 ones when "radeon: no need for this anymore" change is not reverted).
> > >
> > > [ BTW xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0-62.fc10.i386 still causes hangs when used with
> > > non-Fedora kernels and Fedora/kms kernel still has performance problems ]
> > >
> > > IOW there are a lot of compatibility issues in recent drm/radeon changes.
> > >
> > > Dave, could you please start looking into these problems? I'm sure that we
> > > all want recent drm changes + kms in 2.6.29 but given tight schedule and the
> > > way things are looking right now I'm quite sceptical...
> > >
> > > [1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/13/76
> > > [2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/13/77
> > >

> > Bart,
> >
> > please file bugs in RH bugzilla for Fedora issues. Fedora is shipping
> > drivers that aren't upstream, and I'm attempting to resolve the issues
> > as they arise. However not having a bug to track stuff in means it just
> > goes far enough out of my inbox that I forget about it.
>
> OK, I'll try to put all issues into RH bugzilla once I find some time.
>
> [ OTOH the hang issue mentioned above happens only with vanilla kernels,
> Fedora kernels are not affected because they ship KMS. Anyway, you
> could have just told me that you prefer to have a RH bugzilla bug for
> it two weeks ago (and indeed KMS performance issue should have been
> handled through bugzilla -- however this one is of lower priority). ]

I know, literally I didn't see a mail in my inbox and forgot about this
bug until it showed up again, so I should mention Fedora BZ for Fedora
bugs earlier indeed..

drm-next should be fine in the next iteration, there was a missing patch
hunk in the last commit, and then a locking bug after that.

I'll try and look at the other stability issues you are seeing with
Fedora today,

however halving the amount of video RAM everyone gets as a fix for an
issue you are seeing is clearly not the answer, I'd like to actually
track down the root cause of where it went wrong.

Dave.