Re: [RFC]: Support for zero-copy TCP transmit of user space data

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 06:27:07 EST

Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> - Although usage of struct page to keep network related pointer might
> look as a layering violation, it isn't. I wrote in
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/15/190 why.

Sorry but extending struct page for this is really a bad idea because
of the extreme memory overhead even when it's not used (which is a
problem on distribution kernels) Find some other way to store this
information. Even for patches with more general value it was not
acceptable.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx