Re: [Question] inotify : process based filtering of events

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Sat Dec 20 2008 - 05:41:07 EST

Hi.

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:21:33PM +0530, Niraj kumar (niraj17@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I am trying to use inotify to monitor filesystem events but
> my problem is that I am only interested in changes that
> is being done by a particular process and it's children
> (could be the same process which used inotify APIs).
>
> Is it possible to achieve this process based filtering of events
> using inotify infrastructure?

You can try using inotify nested attributes patch [1] and filter events
in userspace based on reported pid/tid. With the fsnotify changes coming
it may be possible to have similar functionality there.

1. Inotify nested attributes.
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/25/272

2. Example usage and test application.
http://www.ioremap.net/node/73